7/20/2009

Learning Englisg - July-14, 2009 - part 3

Propose
Seconder n. (名詞 noun)
1. 贊同者; 附議者


Abstain: no idea/opinion in the meeting. 要表決的時候都不會舉手
vi. (不及物動詞 intransitive verb)[(+from)]
1. 戒;避免;避開
The doctor asked the patient to abstain from smoking.
醫生叫這位病人戒煙。
2. 棄權
Some voters abstained in the election.
一些選民在選舉中棄了權。


Sarcasm: n. (名詞 noun)
1. 諷刺,挖苦,嘲笑[U]
This is no time to indulge in sarcasm.
現在可不是一味諷刺挖苦的時候。
2. 譏諷語,挖苦話[C]
3. 諷刺性[U]


Irony: n. (名詞 noun)
1. 反語;冷嘲;諷刺[U]
In her voice we could sense a certain tinge of irony.
從她的聲音裡我們可以感到某種譏諷的意味。
2. 具有諷刺意味的事;出乎意料的結果;嘲諷的話[C][U]
The great irony was that despite all his explanations nobody believed him.
最具諷刺意味的是:儘管他竭力解釋,可沒一個人相信他。


Verdict: n. (名詞 noun)[C]
1.【律】(陪審團的)裁決,裁定
The jury brought in a verdict of guilty.
陪審團裁定有罪。
2.【口】定論;判斷;意見[S1]



"Bridging word":
* So, Actually, Um, Er. Well... --- to change the subject
* I belive, I see, I understand, I hear... --- to introduce something else


Question and Answer:
___Q: You don't like dog, do you?
___A: No, I don't.
___Q: Yo do like cat, do you?
___A: Yes, I do.

0 意見: